CMPC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do regular people think of programmers?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What do regular people think of programmers? Empty What do regular people think of programmers?

I often see situations where programmers are thought of as tech support. But in reality a programmer... is just a programmer. S/He doesn't even need to know how a printer works or how to even use a printer for that matter. What might a non-techy think of a programmer at first glance?

Possible Answers:

YOU MAKE GAMES?

asjdfoiaslkgndkasjfoiejaeoijf209a0w(rfj09wajf90

slackers

pencil pushers

*calls a programmer* hey can you come check up on my computer? I think i have a virus....

or my favorite

What do regular people think of programmers? Linux_install
Admin
Admin
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

What do regular people think of programmers? :: Comments

Paul

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm by Paul

No Comment

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm by melanation

you just posted a comment saying no comment...

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 pm by Paul

and. . .

Back to top Go down

Unchained

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:55 pm by Unchained

Sometimes I almost cry when people tell me that they didn't know people made programs, the rest of the time they think its all binary.

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 am by Paul

Yeah, it's intesting what people will/do believe. . .

Back to top Go down

Corey

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 am by Corey

@Unchained I hate that!

Honestly, do they think computers just -appeared- one day, full of software? And games take 5 minutes of like dragging-and-dropping to make? UGH! And then they think they're all smart when they learn binary and think that's how you program computers. Honestly, you would be able to make 90% of the programs out there without knowing a single thing about binary. (Even when people figure out those hideous "game" maker programs, they don't realize that someone had to -program- the game maker from scratch)

Back to top Go down

Corey

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 am by Corey

Or they just think you're lying.

Oh, the other one I hate is the whole "programmer = hacker, hacker = programmer" thing. Gavin did that to me today.
He basically said that if you know labview, then you can hack. I asked him if he even knew what hacking was. I have a feeling he doesn't.

Back to top Go down

Admin

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 am by Admin

lol hacking is.... special. i think me and zach know the most on the forum on hacking because we're /b/tards. but i spent several months on a hacking forum and it's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. ... kinda. but programming does help with hacking. ALOT

Back to top Go down

Unchained

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:14 am by Unchained

Ugh I hate it especially when they think you're lying.

The thing about technology is that so many things are interconnected that its hard to specialize. So yea sometimes programmers know how to hack and vice versa but its annoying when they assume you know everything. (though I try to know a little bit of everything) They are totally specialized sections.

Allen: Haha yea thats possible (EXIF is one thing I learned form /b/) even though we don't really have much use for it... Programming helps you understand how systems work so yea it does help if you are creating your own hack.

Back to top Go down

Corey

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:17 am by Corey

I mean, of course it helps, but it's more of a motive and interest-type thing. Knowing one doesn't imply the other, although it may make it more probable.

Back to top Go down

Unchained

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:32 am by Unchained

Precisely my point.

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 am by Paul

yeah, definitely. of course I have a love for almost all things computer. . .
Hacking,
Web Design,
Programming,
everything else. . .

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am by Paul

If I could I would build a computer from scratch, and I truly mean scratch (melting ores and whatever), and program it in binary.

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:34 am by melanation

I know some people, who think that when their computer freezes, because the room is too cold.

They also think that if there is a problem with the computer, apologizing to it is the best way to solve it...

And that is why I was the best techie in my whole school (counting teachers).
I need not say more *shakes head in disapproval*

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 am by melanation

there were of course, people who actually had heads that weren't full of helium, so they thought a little more. But still, they thought the best way to fix a bug in the system was to turn it off, let the computer figure out what's wrong with itself, and have the computer fix itself. without any help from the user, whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Admin

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 am by Admin

another_pd wrote:If I could I would build a computer from scratch, and I truly mean scratch (melting ores and whatever), and program it in binary.
no life... even at my standards.

but if you want to melt ores n stuff play runescape. Razz

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 am by melanation

Runescape sucks.

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 am by melanation

but I would like to take apart a computer and put it back together again. That sounds fun!

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 am by Paul

I just mean working with the raw materials and ending with the final product more of a hobby sort of thing

Back to top Go down

melanation

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 am by melanation

that works too Smile

Back to top Go down

Paul

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:22 am by Paul

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get around to it.

Back to top Go down

Admin

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:46 am by Admin

plus it costs... ALOT. nowhere near any of our savings budgets. to get a machine to melt ores...

Back to top Go down

Unchained

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:49 am by Unchained

Like a soldering iron?

Back to top Go down

Admin

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 am by Admin

i don't think a soldering iron can melt silicon.... (2577ºF melting point)

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum