CMPC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Think I'm Missing Something Here...

4 posters

CMPC :: Computing :: Programming :: C++

Go down

Think I'm Missing Something Here... Empty Think I'm Missing Something Here...

Post by Unchained Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:58 am

I cant seem to find my error even though I know it will be super simple. Any thoughts?

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

string BLOCK;

void SCAN1();

void main()
{
   cout << "Enter the set of letters.\n\n";
   cin >> BLOCK;
   SCAN1();
   cin.get();
}

void SCAN1()
{
ifstream file("DIC.TXT");
  if (file)
  {
    string line;
    while (line!="")
   {
      getline(file, line);
      if(line.find(BLOCK)!= string::npos)
     {
        cout << line << '\n';
     }
   }
  }
}
Unchained
Unchained
Mod

Back to top Go down

Think I'm Missing Something Here... Empty Re: Think I'm Missing Something Here...

Post by Admin Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 pm

what's the error message?
Admin
Admin
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Think I'm Missing Something Here... Empty Re: Think I'm Missing Something Here...

Post by Corey Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:15 am

I know it! "Using namespace std;" should go after "include <iostream>" and before "include <string>"

Last edited by Corey on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Corey
Corey
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:11 am

Code:
using namespace std;
should be able to go anywhere in the file. but if anything it should go after the includes, all the includes.

BTW: Horrible coding practices. Wink You should use parameters over globals when given the chance as should be easy to do in that code.
Paul
Paul
Pickaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am

Hmm. Well, as to the placement of using namespace std, Will was having a similar issue awhile ago, and moving the using up fixed it. So, at least on visual c++, I think it does matter.
Corey
Corey
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:04 pm

It should go after all the includes though. I have NEVER had that line be a problem with the exception of forgetting it.
Paul
Paul
Pickaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Huh. That's weird, because for Will it only worked if it was directly after "#include <iostream>"

Last edited by Corey on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Corey
Corey
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Unchained Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 am

I always put it after all of my includes... Never had a single problem with it, I think its proper practice to do so...

If this were an intricate and multi source code project I wouldn't use it but there isn't much risk of poisoning in such a small project.

I don't get any compile errors, but during runtime after I enter the value to search for, it closes without an error.
Unchained
Unchained
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:51 pm

If it's an error that only shows up when you run the program and does not show up in compile errors or warnings then is the perfect time to use a debugger and pray it's obvious. . .
Paul
Paul
Pickaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Well, It doesn't even make it as far as your call to SCAN1.
The error I was receiving was this:
Code:

TestCoding(2105) malloc: *** error for object 0x10000b780: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Program received signal:  “SIGABRT”.
Paul
Paul
Pickaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

CMPC :: Computing :: Programming :: C++

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum